Irritable Bowel Syndrom (IBS)
Do You Think You Have IBS?
How does an appointment work?
Why Beyond Nutrition?
We are here for you
Further Information on Irritable Bowel Syndrom (IBS) in Dubai and Abu Dhabi
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a disorder of the large intestine where you usually suffer from one or more gastrointestinal symptoms such as abdominal pain, bloating, abdominal distension, cramping, constipation, diarrhea or flatulence. Although the mechanisms have not been fully understood, the cause of IBS is likely related to the nerves in the intestines that affect the gastrointestinal motility. Reasons could be genetics, inflammation, intestinal infections, social factors as well as psychological factors.
Diagnosis of IBS is not easy as there are many factors that play a role in the development. As there is no specific blood test, diagnosis is more based on symptoms, generally via a standardized set of criteria such as “Rome III”. After diagnosis of IBS, some blood tests are recommended including a complete blood count, inflammatory markers and antibody testing for celiac disease.
Because the symptoms vary from person to person, treatment should always start with managing the necessary dietary and lifestyle factors. If these factors have been addressed and problems still occur, the second line of treatment would be to take a FODMAP diet (Fermentable Oligo-, Di-, Mono-saccharides And Polyols) which is specifically developed for the treatment of IBS. This type of diet should be done under supervision of an experienced and qualified Dietitian.
As underlined by our name, nutrition is core to our philosophy of a healthier life and we take great pride in the successes we have booked with our clients. Our nutritional consultations are uniquely tailored to maximize impact. Particularly in the cases of diabetes we believe that a well-designed diet plan is essential. During the consultation, our Dietitian or nutritionist will do a full and thorough nutrition assessment covering the following aspects:
- Concerns you may have and whether known allergies or intolerances are present
- Current food intake and dietary habits
- Medical history and medications or supplements that are currently used
- Exercise regime you are following (if following) and other lifestyle aspects
- Body composition analysis that will indicate a variety of measures including body fat mass, lean muscle mass, total body water, weight, body mass index (BMI), minerals, available protein for muscle building and more
- The assessment is often complemented with blood and / or DNA tests to get a better view of your physical makeup
Based on the assessment our Dietitian or nutritionist will provide advice on your diet and together we will set realistic and achievable goals (e.g. goals for performance, health, weight). A uniquely customized nutrition plan will be emailed to you to follow for two weeks. After this period a follow-up consultation is recommended to measure results and make alterations where needed.
At Beyond Nutrition in Dubai we conduct many blood tests. The process is simple:
- Book an appointment at our Dubai JLT clinic and our licensed, experienced nurse will take a blood sample which will be sent to the lab the same day. The whole process will take around 10 minutes. We can also visit you at a location of your convenience (additional costs for home/office visits apply)
- The test result report with your blood values will be shared with you by email after 1-2 working days